Monday, January 3, 2011

...In the beginning...

It being the first post of this strange new experiment, I've never written a "blog" before, I feel as though it should be kicked off in some kind of fantastic manner. Perhaps a bit of narcissism? For all intensive purposes my name is Très-vis. If there's a problem with pronunciation, no problem, you can say it backwards if you'd like. I currently reside in the fine neighborhood of Greenpoint, Brooklyn, New York, New York, East Coast, USA, World, Universe, Armpit. As of the past year I've been experiencing a rare degree of soul-crampage...soul-crampage being the inevitable feeling one gets at my point in life - mid-twenties, directionless, and overwhelmed with a nameless youthful passion. Others I've known to have experienced similar crampage have dealt with it in their own distinctive ways. Some are raging a daily fist-fight with their livers often assisted by the help of a gentleman I call Jack, some pride themselves on passionate political opinions and activism, others join the army, yet others find life-partners, jobs, and any number of traditional means of comfort and relief from that constant, bastardly sense of getting older and leading a meaningless life. While all of these choices are fine with me, none of them seem to apply to myself. Maybe in the end all life has no meaning, but the best we can do is find something to "lube the gears" and "get them cranking" (bad metaphors can be fun) and while we're at it make things a little more fun, a little more tolerable, and maybe even a little better (hopes so high, hopes so wary). So what lubes my gears?, he asked rhetorically. Well, various forms of consumption seem to do the trick, but what are lubed gears if they never crank, I ask? (by cranking I mean getting one's ass moving and all of that other phony positive thinking BS.) Everyone needs something to be proud of, something to work at, and maybe one day they can even say "god dammit dad, I had a career." This "blog" will be an attempt to get things cranking, in my life, in my mind, and possibly, in who ever else finds the time to indulge in my madness, as I have now decided to do, and like any madman mad with madness's mad touch, I would be pleased to lure the rest of the world into a similar madness... So please let this not be a burden, as nothing in life should be. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea, Travis!
    I'm looking forward to reading your next posts... Good Luck from Zazie and Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and overwhelmed with a nameless youthful passion." Never been quite able to put such thing a thing into words but I suffer from this as well. I hate the fact that I have to point my life experiences in one direction to make myself have value to the rest of the species.

    ReplyDelete